Windows Modules Installer Worker is a Windows 10, 8 or 7 components which work for installing or removing updates. At the same time, it also works for customizing the updates or other Windows Components. A complain comes always for Windows Modules Installer Worker or TiWorker.exe– High CPU or Disk Usage. That means the process is wasting huge CPU resources. Even Microsoft has described in their Forum discussion about the reality of the issues.
When you will check Task Manager and it is showing this component is taking CPU usage 50% to 100% which is concerning. But truly you can solve the problem by changing some setting. As it is an essential component for Windows 10, 8/8.1 or 7 users, we need to keep it running. Because it checks the necessary updates and software changes and inform us to make it happen. On the other hand, if you turn off the Windows Modules Installer Worker or WMIW, you need to check it manually which is time-consuming and you may miss something after the time passes. In this case, TiWorker.exe or Windows Modules Installer Worker is helpful to make the latest Windows updating process functional.
What is Windows Modules Installer Worker:
In general, Windows Modules Installer Worker refers to a Windows Components which works to check or implement Windows update and software changes. Windows 10 can auto-update the necessary update with the help of TiWorker.exe which is mainly the functions of Windows Modules Installer Worker. For example, The latest update or patch file is C++ Redistribute package 2018, now you have no need to install the update manually. The WMIW can check it and auto-update the program. For this reason, you can sit without thinking about the security or updated services.
In this case, Windows Modules Installer Worker is helpful, but if you see it is taking 50%+ of your CPU or Disk usage, it is a concerning matter. Because the full system can slow down and you can’t do normal work smoothly. Notably, it has the good solution too without missing the latest updates and reducing the CPU or Disk usage. I will discuss all the things here.
Fix Windows Modules Installer Worker – High CPU/Disk Usage:
Yes! You can solve or reduce the uses of high CPU or Disk usage easily. For this reason, you need to change some setting and you have to follow some instructions. I have discussed all the things about Windows Modules Installer Worker or TiWorker.exe. Let’s discover it now.
Method 1: Make Windows Update Manual
Windows Modules Installer Worker is taking most of the CPU or Disk usage for updating the OS and existing software files. For this reason, if you can keep the updating process Manual, that means it will update when you wish in your desired times. That means you are getting CPU or disk space free up most of the time. How can you do that?
- Open RUN first by pressing Windows key + R. (You can also open the RUN from Windows or taskbar search)
- Now scroll down and find out Windows Modules Installer.
- Double click here and change the setting to manual. (By default it stays as Automatic)
- Then again, find out the Windows update and double-click here.
- At the same time, change the setting to manual instead of Automatic.
Now you need to change the Windows update setting from Control Panel Setting. For doing that.
- Open Control Panel (You will get it from Windows Search)
- Now go Update and Security (In Windows 10, you will get it from Windows Setting)
- Here change the setting to “Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them“
- Hope you have done the things successfully. (Note: In Windows 10 updated versions, you can follow the first step only)
Now restart the PC and see you are now wasting the resources of the Windows.
Important: As you have set the Windows Update setting Manual, you need to check the update manually or you will miss the latest update of the OS.
Method 2: Scan The PC and Clean Disk
Sometimes, virus or malware can corrupt the old files or it can do misbehavior. For this reason, before doing any methods, you should scan the PC with Windows Defender and with some other reliable Anti-virus including Avast or Norton. It will fix the infected files and you need remove it.
At this point, clean the Disk or temporary files from the PC and check the unnecessary software or apps and remove them also. Surely, it will reduce The usage of the disk as well as Windows Modules Installer Worker.
Method 3: Install All available Updates At a certain Time
As you have set the Windows updates as Manual, it will reduce the high CPU usage, but it will see some security issues or bug. For this reason, it may corrupt any important file or you can miss the important update. For this reason, you need to check the updates in every week or month and you need to install it. For this reason, it may take CPU or Disk resources for some time, but you will not face any problem later. How can you install Windows updates?
Windows 10 or 8/8.1:
- Open setting first from the Windows search or taskbar search.
- Go to update and security options.
- Here, it will show all the files are up to date or you need to check the updates manually.
- For checking the updates click on Check For Updates.
- Then it will take some time and will show you the available update. Now update it one by one.
- Now restart the PC. It will surely finish Windows Update and will not take high CPU usage anymore.
Windows 7 or 8:
- Open the RUN first by pressing Windows Key + R. (You can also open run by searching on Taskbar search.)
- Now type
- Now check if there have any available update or up to date.
- If you get the update, do it one by one manually.
- Then Reboot the Computer and noticed that Windows Modules Installer Worker is not taking high CPU or Disk space.
Surely, it will work. Oh Yes! Never forget to disable the auto update again, if you turn it on by following the first method.
Method 4: Decrease TiWorker or Windows Modules Installer Worker process priority
When you want to reduce the High CPU usage, you can set the TiWorker.exe as low instead of High or Normal. Surely, it will reduce the pressure on the CPU for certain program. How will you do it?
- First, open the Task Manager by Right Clicking on the Taskbar or by clicking Shift+Alt+Esc.
- Go to More Details Now.
- Now go to Details Options.
- Now scroll down and find out which program you want to set as low Priority. For example, TiWOrker.exe or Windows Modules Installer.
- Surely, it will reduce the CPU or Disk usage. Check the CPU usage on the program you have set low priority.
Markedly, You are able to reduce the High CPU usage.
Method 5: Scan and Fix Corrupted System Files and Services (SFC)
In some cases, when you are using the PC for more days, it can create some corrupted system files and services. It is your responsibility to find out the files and fix them. Otherwise, it can take high CPU or Disk usage. To get the solution, do the below steps.
- Open the Command Prompt first. You can do it by searching cmd on the taskbar search and right-clicking on it and open it as administrators.
- Write SFC /SCANNOW and Hit Enter.
- It will start scanning the PC and troubleshooting the corrupted files. Take some moments.
- When it will finish checking 100% then Restart the PC and check the Windows Modules Installer.
Surely, it will reduce the High CPC or Disk usage. It is very important to step to fix breaking programs.
Method 6: Delete the SoftwareDistribution folder
Software Distribution Folder is the location where Windows keeps the update. So, you can think if I delete it where will keep the updates in the future. Yes! But sometimes The updated files may be corrupted or it can be infected with Virus. For this reason, if you delete it you can free up some disk space and it will reduce the CPU usage.
Important to realize, when the next update will come, Windows will create the Software Distribution Folder again. So, you have no tension about the folder. How can you delete the folder?
- Open RUN first by pressing Windows Key + R. You can also get it by Windows search also.
- Now Write the below command to open the local services of Windows.
- Scroll Down now and find out Windows Update again. Double Click on the program and it will open a new window. Now Press stop. (If you stop it before, then it will not work. So you can skip the point)
- Then again, go to Software Distribution Folder from the system drive. Location: C:\Windows.
- Again scroll down and find out the SoftwareDistribution Folder. Right Click on it and Delete the folder. (I have told you to not worry. Surely, it will create a new folder again in the next update. You can check then)
- Finally, Restart the computer and surely, the windows will start to use the CPU or disk in the low amount.
You have successfully deleted the SoftwareDistribution Folder and surely, it will reduce the use of High Disk usage.
Method 7: USE DISM To Stop Windows corruption errors
When you want to solve Windows Modules Installer Worker, the methods work very fine. It will find out any Windows Corruption and restore the best cleanup file. We will use DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) tool for doing this. Follow the below steps.
- Open Command Prompt As Admin. You can do it by searching on taskbar or Windows search with cmd. (Another Key Point, you can do the task from Windows Powershell too)
- Write down the below code now and Hit Enter.
/Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth
- Now, wait for sometimes.
- It will complete the full cleanup of the system file and then close it and restart the PC.
Yes! It will ridiculously finish windows high CPU or Disk usage.
Method 8: Run System Maintenance & Windows Update troubleshooters
This is the last method. Here you will check the Windows file health and troubleshoot it automatically or it will provide you suggestions to solve it. It will chiefly repair the update. How will it work?
- Open Control Panel First by searching on the taskbar or windows search.
- Now open Troubleshoot. The location of troubleshooting is Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting.
- From the left side click View All.
- Double click on System Maintenance.
- Here, a new window will come and go to Next.
- Now click on Try Troubleshooting as Administrators.
- Take some time and check if there have any issues. Windows will detect and solve itself.
- Now go back to your regular work and be sure is now not an issue.
You have successfully solved all the issues with. Hope you will enjoy using the Windows 10, 8/8.1 or 7 operating system now.
Why is it taking so much CPU resources?
In general, Windows brings a completely new update in a month (Second Tuesday). It stays a lot of files or program and instructions. When it is taking the update, it needs to do a lot of work. It is natural.
But the problem when you are using the computer and doing important work. For this reason, you need to follow the above method to solve Windows Modules Installer Worker update. Surely, it is verified and it will work.
Faqs regarding WMIW:
Users ask some of the confusing questions regarding Windows Modules Installer Worker. I have added the answer here. Surely, I will update anything new will come here.
Can I disable Windows Modules Installer Worker?
-I will not recommend to disable it. It is important to bring new update and software changes. So, if you stop it, it will not able to show you the update. For this reason, keep it running, but follow the above first method of keeping it manual. When you are in free time, then check the update and make it happen. You will get the latest Windows update as well as you are not facing the High CPU or Disk usage.
Is it a Virus?
-Not at all. It is a Windows Components to make the updating the OS on a regular basis and fixing the bugs. For this reason, never make the fault by thinking it is a virus. Though I have recommended running a Scan to remove another corrupted or infected files.
Is it causes any problem in the whole system?
-No! It is very natural. Though Most of the time, it takes high CPU or Disk resources. But it is natural.
Need more help?
At last, I am at the finishing point. As Windows Modules Installer Worker is becoming a matter of vital questions recently, so I have tried to solve the issues completely. I think you will get 100% solution for high CPU or Disk usage.
At the same time, if you get the article helpful, share it on your favorite social media. At the same time, if you need any further assistance regarding Windows High CPU or Disk usage, make the comment. All the best Wishes.