In General, “MsMpEng.exe” is Anti-Malware service on Windows Defender and you will get it in Windows 10, 8 or 7. It is essential to protect your PC for security reasons. Especially, Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is a good safety as a free Antivirus. If you are individual or small or medium business owner, Windows Defender can fulfill your security purposes. The only problem is, MsMpEng.exe is the reason for high CPU usage in some cases.
Hopefully, you can fix the “MsMpEng.exe” High CPU usage if it occurs for you most of the time. I have explored many PCs and have got that, it is not so tough to solve the problem on Windows Defender. Most of the cases, “MsMpEng.exe” happens for infected virus and any miss leading files on Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). So, when I have scanned my whole PC with carefully and if uninstalled and Reinstall the MSE again on the PC, it gets the solution and it never takes the High CPU usage.
What is MsMpEng.exe?
MsMpEng.exe means the Anti-Malware service of Microsoft Windows Defender. It is a part of Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). As Windows Defender is a free Antivirus on Windows 10, 8 or 7, it will keep you secured for Malware or other unwanted viruses. Here, MsMpEng.exe works for protecting Malware, Harmful Software or Spyware on your computer and identifying and removing them also.
Reasons for MsMpEng.exe High CPU Usage?
There are some reasons for taking High CPU usage by MsMpEng.exe including
- If your computer bears low hardware resources
- It can keep the files of previously used Anti-virus
- Your computer can be infected with Malware
Anyway, you can solve the MsMpEng.exe High CPU usage. For this reason, you need to follow the below troubleshoot. Let’s see how can you do it.
Solve MsMpEng.exe High CPU Usage in Windows 10, 8 or 7:
When you are facing “MsMpEng.exe” issues in Windows for High CPU usage, you can fix it by following the below methods. I have discussed here all the ways to solve MsMpEng.exe.
- Prevent Windows Defender to scan its directory
- Limit CPU Usage
- Check and Clean Malware
- Reinstall Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)
- Reschedule Windows Defender
- Disable Windows Defender
- Disable Sample Submission
- Remove Adware
- Exclude MsMpEng.exe for scanning
- Install Another Anti-virus
Solution 1: Exclude MsMpEng.exe for scanning
If you can exclude MsMpEng.exe from scanning in your PC, then you can free up your computer from High CPU Usage. For this reason, here I will show how you can exclude MsMpEng.exe for scanning. I will show the process on Windows 10, but it will work for Windows 8/8.1 or 7.
- First Open Windows Defender Security Center by searching on Taskbar search.
- Then Go to Virus and Threat Protection from the left sidebar.
- Now Click on Virus & Threat Protection Settings.
- Scroll down and go to Add or remove Exclusions.
- Then Click on Add an Exclusion and Then File.
- Here you need to Copy the location of MsMpEng.exe. You can do it by pasting the below code on the opening window.
“C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe”
- You will see the MsMpEng.exe file has been added as Excluded.
Important: If you want to remove it again, you will click on the file and you can easily remove it. You can also Exclude the full Folder, but I will recommend excluding only the MsMpEng.exe File.
Windows 7, Vista & XP users: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\
Windows 8 users: C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\
Surely, the windows won’t take the High CPU usage anymore when you are working.
Solution 2: Limit CPU Usage
If you limit CPU usage for MsMpEng.exe, it won’t take high CPU anymore. How can you do that?
For Windows 10, 8 or 7:
- Open Task Manager first. You can do it by right-clicking on the taskbar.
- Now Go to More Details and then Details Tab.
- Now Scroll Down and find out MsMpEng.exe and Right-click on it.
- Select Set Affinity.
- Now limit the usage of CPU from Processor Affinity.
Yes! You have done. Now you can enjoy Computing.
Solution 3: Check and Clean Malware
You need to check your PC for corrupted files or Virus or Malware to solve MsMpEng.exe. For this reason, you can scan the PC.
- First Open Command Prompt by searching on the Taskbar search or Windows Start Menu Search.
- Now type the below code to scan the full system files.
It will check the full system of you and wait sometimes and Restart the PC when it is finished.
You can also check the system health by typing the below code again at the Command Prompt.
dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
At the same time, you can check the Malware by Full Scanning with the Windows Defender.
On the other hand, you can also use Third-Party Software. For Example, Malwarebytes. You can use their premium version as the 14-day trial or you can buy it also. At the same time, you can easily their free version to check Malware on your Computer.
You can do the scan process from the above process. Surely, it will solve the issues of MsMpEng.exe.
Solution 4: Reschedule Windows Defender
As MsMpEng.exe on Windows Defender is taking High CPU usage when scanning or working. You can disable it for some days or months. Automatically it will work when the schedule period starts. With this in mind, you can Reschedule Windows Defender to stop High CPU usage. You can do it by following the below steps.
- First, Open Task Scheduler by searching on the Taskbar search.
- When Task Scheduler is opened, go to in this path: Task Scheduler Library/Microsoft/Windows/Windows Defender.
- You will find Windows Defender Task file here. Now double-click on the Windows Defender Scheduled Scan file and it will a new window.
- Here, you need to disable all the options including Start the task only if the computer is idle, Start the task only if the computer is on AC power and Start only if the following network connection is available. Then click on OK.
- Then again go to Properties Tab and click on Triggers. and Go to New.
- Here you can create a new Triggers on the weekly or monthly basis. If you want to reschedule Windows Defender on the Weekly basis then select the days you want also. Now click on OK.
- You are done! Now you will get the three Windows Defender task also including Windows Defender Cache Maintenance, Windows Defender Cleanup, and Windows Defender Verification. Do the same above process and mane new schedule.
It can take some extra time from you. But surely, it is necessary to set up for all the task and reducing High CPU usage for MsMpEng.exe.
Important: When the Reschedule time will finish, it will start to take the High CPU again as it will to scan again. For this reason, if you think you do not need to scan, you can make the schedule again. You can also go to Monthly plan for more days. Surely, it will save your CPU usage for MsMpEng.exe.
Solution 5: Disable Microsoft Security Essentials Real-time protection
You can disable Microsoft Security Essentials Real-Time Protection for reducing High CPU usage. Yes! It will help you to use the PC without any hazards. How can you do it?
- Go to Windows Defender Security Center and click on Virus & Threat Protection.
- Now click on Virus and Threat Protection Settings.
- Then Turn Off Real-Time Protection.
It works very fine to reduce CPU usage and MsMpEng.exe.
Solution 6: Disable Windows Defender
If you think, Windows Defender (MsMpEng.exe) is taking High CPU, you can disable or Turn Off Windows Defender. You can disable Windows Defender by following the two ways.
- Using Local Group Policy
- Using Registry Files
Disable Windows Defender using Local Group Policy:
For disabling Windows Defender using Local Group Policy by following the below steps.
- Open RUN First by pressing Windows Key + R.
- Now type
- Now go to Windows Defender Anti-virus by following the path: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender.
- Then again you will get Turn Off Windows Defender and double-click here.
- Now a new window will open. Click on Enabled to disable Windows Defender.
- Now click on Apply and OK.
When you will finish disabling Windows Defender, then Restart the PC and see Windows Defender is no more working.
Disable Windows Defender using Registry File:
In Windows 10 Home Edition, Group Policy Will not work. For this reason, you need to use Registry File to disable it. It will work for all the versions of Windows. Follow the below steps.
- First, open RUN by pressing Windows Key + R.
- Type regedit to open Windows Registry Editor and Hit Enter.
- Now go to the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender. Important to realize, you can copy and paste the path into the direction.
- Here, you may see a file named DisableAntiSpyware with REG_DWORD. Most of the PC will not stay the file. So, you need to create it. For creating it, Right Click on the Empty Space and Create new DWORD (32-bit) Value file.
- Now give the file name DisableAntiSpyware and close it.
- Then again double click on the file and give the value data 1 instead of 0.
- Now restart the Computer and see the changes.
The issues of MsMpEng.exe will be solved permanently now.
Solution 7: Disable Sample Submission
In some cases, Sample Submission on Windows Defender can misguide the functions to work. Though it is a useful feature, if you see it helps to reduce the High CPU usage by MsMpEng.exe, then you can just disable it. How can you do it?
- Open Windows Defender Security Center again by searching on the Taskbar search.
- Now go to Virus & threat protection.
- Then click on Virus & threat protection settings.
- Now scroll down and you will find Automatic Sample Submission.
- Turn it Off and Restart the PC to make it works.
It will help to reduce the High CPU usage for MsMpEng.exe in Windows Defender.
Solution 8: Remove Adware
We know that Adware is a software which works as an advertising-supported software. When you are working online, it can download apps or software which is not trusted most of the time. It can infect the system with Malware. As MsMpEng.exe is a Malware toolkit on Windows Defender, it can work when it will get the malware infected software or program. For this reason, if you get the Adware in your system or browser, you need to remove it permanently. It will reduce the use of High CPU or Disk.
How will you remove Adware?
You will get some free software for removing Adware from your PC permanently. Among them, AdwCleaner is very reliable. A lot of tech geeks recommend it. You can download it from online. For Example Malwarebytes Adwcleaner. You can download it freely and it is updated regularly. So it will support for Windows 10, 8 or 7. You have no need to get the backdated software. Just install it and follow the instructions to remove adware from your PC. Hope it will help to solve “MsMpEng.exe”.
Solution 8: Install Another Anti-virus
I have mentioned mostly helpful method and it works really fine to solve the issues of High CPU usage. In this case, if you follow any method which needs to disable Windows Defender, then it is mandatory to use another Anti-virus. For example, Norton, Avast or Kaspersky. You will get the free versions of them. So you have no tension for infecting with other virus or Malware.
Is MsMpEng.exe a Virus?
No! “MsMpEng.exe” is not a virus. It is a component of Windows Defender which works as Anti-Malware. That means it works to remove or protect against malware. As it takes High CPU usage, someone thinks it as a virus. But It is not the Virus at all. It is a useful feature of Windows Defender Anti-Virus.
Should I disable MsMpEng.exe in Windows 10?
If you think, you are not getting the solution at all by the methods of the above keeping Windows Defender, you can disable MsMpEnge.exe. Though you need to use another Anti-virus if you disable it.
Need More Help?
At last, I think you have realized the matter for MsMpEng.exe – High CPU usage. As it is mandatory to use an anti-virus for staying safe online. You can also stay with Windows Defender and if you see you are getting the solution from the above method, then you can disable Windows Defender and can use any other Anti-VIrus. In most the cases, I have seen to fix the MsMpEng.exe in Windows 10, 8 or 7 computer. Hope it will help you most.
Anyway, if you get the article helpful, express your love by sharing it on the social media. At the same time, if you need any further help, you can make the comment. All the best wishes.