Do you know how to open a file or folder using cmd or Command Prompt? Simply, when you are working in the Command Prompt, you will want to start the file or folder in cmd or using Command Prompt. With this in mind, I will show here the tricks to open a file or folder in cmd.
Note: You can apply the command for every version of Windows including Windows 10, 8/8.1 and Windows 7. You will need to open the cmd/command prompt first, and it will work the process in every version of Windows.
Are you ready to learn to open a file or folder using cmd or command line? Let’s see it right now.
How to Open a file in cmd or Command Prompt:
Whenever you want to open a file in cmd, you have to write start command. It is very easy. Another key point, you have to select the drive first to open the file. How can you do it? Let’s see.
- First, open the command prompt from the search options, and you can do it from the Windows Start Button.
- Now identify the drive or folder where from you want to open a file in cmd. You can easily do it by giving the command: cd desktop and cd TechyPi. I have given here desktop and TechyPi, as I want to open a file from desktop and which is staying the TechyPi Folder. That means the command will be…
- At this moment type start TechyPi.txt (I have a text file in the TechyPi folder and the same name TechyPi.txt. Important to realize, command prompt in Windows 10 is not case sensitive, so you can write here in small or capital letter as you wish.) That means the command is telling to open the text file TechyPi.txt. So let’s see if it can open the file. Another key point, you can open an image or any file, just give the file name and the extension (For example, I have given .txt as it is a text file).
I think you have successfully opened the file in cmd or using the command prompt. It is so easy if you can memorize the command.
How to Open a folder in cmd or using Command Prompt:
Opening a folder in cmd is nearly same to open a file using cmd. Even the process is a bit short. That means it takes less command text. If you want to do the procedure, follow the below steps. It will work for all the versions of Windows including Windows 10, 8/8.1 and Windows 7.
- Open the Command Prompt/cmd as usual.
- First, select the drive you want to work. That means indicate where your folder is staying. To do that type cd desktop. In general, my folder is staying on the desktop, so I have written the desktop after cd. You will select your needs.
- Now Type start TechyPi. As the folder name is TechyPi, so I have written this. You have to write your desired folders name.
- Ok? Now your folder is opened in cmd.
I think you have successfully opened the folder in cmd or using the command prompt. Is it not so easy?
Editors Note From TechyPi:
Finally, I will tell opening a file or folder in cmd is very easy if you can remember the command line. Let’s do it practically by following the command and the screenshot.
If you get the article helpful, express your love by sharing it. At the same time, if you get any problem, ask us further for instant support. All the best wishes.