When you are visiting any websites, This Site Can’t Be Reached Error In Google Chrome is very common. It is very tough to find anyone who has not faced this problem in Chrome. In some cases, you can see this problem with some popular website. For example, Quora. Every time you will reload the webpage it will show a message “This Site Can’t Be Reached” with a disappointed symbol. The most common reason for this error is on DNS lookup failed.
In general, the problem happens for failing on DNS lookup. To point out, DNS (Domain Name Server) which works to translate the name of the website into internet address. Most often it causes for not getting the internet connection or misconfigured internet or network settings. At the same time, you can see the issues for unresponsive DNS server or firewall of your computer discourage the internet connection not to load the webpage. No matter why Chrome shows the message This Site Can’t Be Reached, but it needs to fix permanently.
Why does it happen in Google Chrome?
Before going into the solution, you should know why This problem happens.
- Error in your Internet Connection
- DNS Lookup Failed
- Disallowing the webpage from Firewall
- Rejecting the website from Antivirus
- If you use a proxy server
- Misconfigured Internet Settings
- Unresponsive DNS Server
To clarify, you are not liable for occurring this problem in your Google Chrome Browser in most of the cases. Anything happens automatically, and you get the problem. Furthermore, you need the solution for accessing the website. Let’s talk how can you fix This Site Can’t Be Reached.
Fix This site can’t be reached error in Google Chrome:
Whenever Google Chrome browser is unable to convert the targetted webpage into internet address. It fails to connect the server to TCP/IP network. That means the problem is mainly DNS Server Error. Anyway, you can fix the issues permanently. I will show you some practical solution for fixing the issues.
Solution 1: Change your IPv4 DNS address
Most of the cases, if you change IPv4 DNS Address, the problem is solved. To change IPv4 DNS address, do the below process.
- Open “Open Network and Sharing Center” by right-clicking on the Network icon on the right side of the taskbar.
[Important: In Windows 10 follow this step to get available network: Open Control Panel, Then Go to Network and Internet (Category), View Network Status and Tasks]
- Now check the active networks and click on it. At the same time, click on Properties.
- Find Out Internet Protocol Version (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties.
- As we want to change the IPv4 DNS Address, click on “Use the following DNS server addresses.”
- Now change the Preferred DNS Server and Alternate DNS Server under Use the Following Server Address.
(Google Public DNS IP addresses)
Preferred DNS server: 126.96.36.199
Alternate DNS server: 188.8.131.52
(OpenDNS server IP addresses)
- Now checkmark the “Validate settings upon exit.”
- At last, Click on OK and Close.
Then again, check the website for checking if the website shows the error “This Site Can Not be Reached.” You will get the solution in most of the cases.
2) Restart DNS Client Service
Sometimes Restarting the DNS Client Service can solve the Problem of not loading the webpage. To do that follow the below process.
- Open Services Window by
- Find Out DNS Client by scrolling down the page. (Type DNS quickly on the keyboard to get the DNS Client)
- Now Click on it, and you will find the Restart options from the below sidebar. (If you Right Click on it, then you will get Restart Options also) Important: If you are already using DNS Client, you may not get the Restart Options on the DNS Client, then you need to close all the program/browser or Restart the PC.
- Wait for sometime and the DNS Client will be Restarted and it will be opened soon.
Significantly, check the website now and you can plainly access the webpage now.
3) Try resetting TCP/IP
Resetting RCP/IP can solve the problem “This Site Can’t be Reached”. Let’s see the steps to reset the TCP/IP.
- First, Open Command Prompt as Admin by searching with cmd. (Right Click on the Command Prompt, you will find Run ad Administrator)
- Now type the following command one by one to reset the TCP/IP.
ipconfig /release ipconfig /all ipconfig /flushdns ipconfig /renew netsh int ip set dns netsh winsock reset
- Reboot the PC to see the changes.
Likewise, browse the website and check if you are getting the error when loading the webpage.
4) Reset Google Chrome settings
As you are getting the error on Google Chrome browser, you can reset it for getting the permanent solution.
- Open Google Chrome First.
- Now Type chrome://flags/ to Reset the Full Browser.
- From the Right Side, you will see “Reset All The Default” and click here.
- Now Relaunch The Browser.
Check the desired website and you will surely get the solution, and it will not show any error anymore.
5) Allow DNS Prefetching
If the pages load quickly, then you can get the solution. For setting it on your browser, do the below things.
- Go to Google Chrome Settings first from the right side of the 3 dot.
- Then Click on Advanced Settings.
- Now find Out “Use a prediction service to load pages more quickly.”
- Check the box (Enable) from here.
Note: Ensure you are using the latest version of Google Chrome on your Computer.
Now Revisit the website and check if the problem has gone.
6) Try Windows Network Diagnose
In most of the cases, the error shows for Misconfigured Network settings, so you can use Windows Network Diagnose to solve it.
- First Open Your Active Network Panel from Control Panel and Network And Network (Category) and open View Network Status and Tasks.
- Click on Diagnose to get the issue which is preventing the webpage to load.
- Now fix and Restart the system.
Check the website on the Google Chrome Browser.
7) Reset modem & reconfigure WiFi settings
If you are using any WiFi router including Netgear, DLink, TPLink or any other, then Resetting the Modem or Reconfiguring the Setting can solve the This Site Can’t Be Reached error.
Important: Ensure you have updated the latest Firmware version in your Modem.
You can reset the modem or router from the Backside of the device. You can also unplug the Power Source after completing the reset. It helps to come back the router in the new version completely. Now reconnect and set the username and password and relaunch the Browser and check if the problem has gone.
8) Reinstall Chrome
The final solution is reinstalling the Google Chrome. In most of the cases, you will get the solution from the above guide. In a little instance, the problem stays in the browser, and it can be infected with malware or virus. So, Reinstalling it can solve the error Permanently.
- First, Uninstall the browser from Control Panel and by going to Uninstall a Program.
- Then Select Google Chrome and Uninstall it. [For more accurate solution, you can delete the setup files from the System Drive]
- Now Download the latest version of Google Chrome from the Official Website.
- And Install it again on your PC.
Now Run the webpage you were getting the error and check here has no more issues. You have solved the error entirely.
Need More Help?
Finally, You have solved the error of This Site Can’t Be Reached in Google Chrome. If you follow the above process, you can settle it permanently, and you will not get the issues anymore.
If you get the article helpful, express your love by sharing it on your favorite social media. At the same time, let’s inform which method is working for you to solve reaching issues. All the best wishes.