“Antimalware Service Executable” is a service of Microsoft Windows Defender and its process in the background on Windows 10, 8 or 7. As Windows Defender is the built-in antivirus of Microsoft Operating system, Antimalware service executable comes as the package with Defender. Though it works as Antimalware, sometimes it takes High CPU Usage. It goes as a boring part when the whole PC goes slow and can’t work properly. Another key point, it is also known as MsMpEng (MsMpEng.exe).
In general, Windows Defender is good as antivirus when you are using the Windows personally or home purposes. It can prevent the major attacks and keeps your PC safe as well. With the business purposes, Windows Defender is quite reliable. But some issues including Antimalware Service Executable which comes with the Windows Security Essentials is a trouble when it takes frequent CPU usage. When the PC acts slowly then you forget what should you do? Hopefully, you can solve the issues. Stay with me. I will show you.
What Is Antimalware Service Executable?
Windows Defender is a free antivirus program for Windows Operating system including Windows 7 to Windows 10. If you are not using any antivirus for your PC, then Microsoft will install the Windows Defender to keep you safe. Here, Antimalware Service Executable is a function to check the malware in the program. It is mainly a background service. Important to realize, Background service means it will run when windows will start to work and it will function when you are executing any program. In this cases, Antimalware Service Executable takes High CPU Usage when it performs lots of task at a time.
It is mainly the part of MsMpEng file and you see the both of them are working to execute the antimalware system. I have no way to deny the importance of antivirus and antimalware service in the system. But when it wastes most of the CPU usage and makes your system slower, then it is a matter of concern. With this in mind, you need to fix it in some cases and you can do it. Before going to the solution, I will show you why it uses so much CPU.
Why Is It Using So Much CPU?
Antimalware service executable use so much CPU or Disk resources and the main reason is it run in the background. Every time, you will run or install a program it will check the file. It mainly wants to keep you safe, but Windows Defender makes the trouble when it takes maximum CPU from the system.
When you are running a large program or moving big files, it will take more time to finish checking the overall health of the files. For this reason, it takes High CPU usage. The same thing happens when you update the system files or anything. Though Antimalware Service or Windows Defender works when the computer stays in the idle mode, when you are doing the busy task, it has no way to do that. So, it uses the most of resources CPU or Disk.
How to Solve Antimalware Service Executable High CPU Usage?
As Antimalware Service Executable is taking high CPU usage, you need to fix it for increasing user experience. I will show you some of the efficient solutions. Let’s take a look.
Solution 1: Reschedule Windows Defender
Windows Defender’s Antimalware server works as a background service and for this reason, it takes high CPU usage. In this case, the best solution is creating reschedule to stop working all the time. When you will fix the time, it will work then. Let’s see how can you reschedule Windows Defender.
- Open Task Scheduler by searching on the Start Menu search or taskbar search.
- From the Task Scheduler expand the following path: Task Scheduler Library/Microsoft/Windows/Windows Defender.
- You will find the Windows Defender file here. Now find out the fine name from the right panel Windows Defender Scheduled Scan double click on it and it will open a new window.
- Go to conditions tab from here and now disable all the options including Start the task only if the computer is idle, Start the task only if the computer is on AC power and Start only if the following network connection is available. Then click on OK.
- Then again go to Windows Defender Scheduled Scan and double click on it and go to Triggers.
- You will need to reschedule and for this reason, go to New Triggers. Set it here weekly or monthly basis. That means you want the Antimalware Service will work on the weekly basis only. You can change it at any time. Now click on OK.
- Now do the above process for the rest of the options under Windows Defender including Windows Defender Cache Maintenance, Windows Defender Cleanup, and Windows Defender Verification. That means you will disable all the options from Conditions and then make new triggers as weekly basis.
- Yes! You are done. Now Antimalware of Windows Defender will not take the High CPU or Disk resources anymore.
Important to realize, Windows Antimalware will not work from the scheduled period. When the time will finish, you need to set it up again. Not to mention, you can set for a long time also and you will be free up from the high CPU usage.
Solution 2: Exclude Antimalware Service Executable for scanning
Here I will show you another important tip regarding high CPU usage. As you get the Antimalware service is taking High CPU or Disk resources, you can exclude the file from Windows Defender and it will now work anymore. For this reason, it will not work in the background process. It is a very effective process and I will show you from the below steps.
- First Open Windows Defender Security Center by searching on the Taskbar or Start Menu search.
- Then click on the Virus and Protection Menu.
- Now click on Virus and Protection Settings.
- Scroll down and find out Add or remove Exclusions. Click on here.
- Then go to Add an Exclusion and click on File.
- Now you have to add the location of MsMpEng.exe here. You will find the location here: “C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\ ”
- Then click on open and you will see the file is already added here.
- Now Restart the PC and it will not scan the PC anymore.
If you think you need to check the malware on your PC again. You can remove it from here easily.
If you are using Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 7 PC then the location the Windows MsMpEng.exe is:
Windows 8/8.1: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\
Windows 7: C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\
Hope the above tips will help you and you will get the solution permanently. If you want, you can disable the services at all by following the below process as well.
Solution 3: Turn off or Disable Windows Defender
In some cases, you may want to get the permanent solution and then you can disable Windows Defender. You can turn off Windows Defender by using two processes.
- Using Local Group Policy
- Using Registry Files
Turn Off Windows Defender using Local Group Policy:
You can disable Windows Defender by using Local Group Policy. For doing this follow the below steps.
- First Open RUN by pressing Windows Key + R.
- Open Local Group Policy by typing
- Now go to Windows Defender Location by following this path: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender.
- Here you will get Turn Off Windows Defender and double click on here.
- A new window will open. To disable Windows Defender, you have to click on Enabled.
- At last, click on Apply and OK.
Close the window now and you have successfully disabled Windows Defender from your Computer. So, the Antimalware Service Executable will not take high CPU or disk resources.
Disable Windows Defender using Registry Files:
In the Home Edition of Windows 10, 8/8.1 or 7, you will not find the Local Group Policy. For this reason, you will need to work with Registry file to turn off Windows Defender. Another key point, it will work for every version of Windows Operating System.
- Open RUN first by pressing Windows Key + R.
- Now type regedit to open Registry Editor on your Computer.
- For opening Windows Defender here, go to this location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender.
- You will find a file here named DisableAntiSpyware with REG_DWORD sub extension. If do not see the file here, you have to create it. For creating the file, you have to Right Click on Empty space and create a new file with DWORD (32-bit) Value. Keep the name DisableAntiSpyware.
- Now double click on the file and give the value data 1 instead of 0.
- At last, Restart the PC and see the changes.
Solution 4: Disable Microsoft Security Essentials Real-time protection
As the Windows Defender is working all the times in the background, if you disable the service, it will not work when you are working. For this reason, the Antimalware will not take high CPU usage or Disk Resources. So, you will get the solution. How will you do it?
- Go to Windows Defender Security Center by searching on the Taskbar or Start Menu search. Then click on Virus & Threat Protection.
- Then again go to Virus and Threat Protection Settings.
- Here turn off the Real-time Protection. (See the screenshot to understand clearly)
The Antimalware service of Windows Defender will no longer work when you are working on the PC.
Solution 5: Disable Sample Submission
Sometimes, Sample Submission in Windows Defender can’t work properly when you are using the computer. It is a useful feature, but it can inspire to use high CPU from any other functions. For this reason, you can check by stopping the service.
- Open Windows Defender Security Center again by searching on the Taskbar. Click on Virus & threat protection.
- Go to Virus & threat protection Settings again.
- Scroll down now and find out Automatic Sample Submission.
- Turn off it and Restart the Computer.
Now you will not get the high CPU usage anymore.
Solution 6: Check and Clean Malware
In some cases, if your PC contains corrupted files for malware, it can misbehave to perform. For this reason, you can check the system files to clean the Malware or another virus. You can do it by sfc /scannow command.
- Open Command Prompt first as Administrators by searching on the taskbar search.
- Now write the below command to scan the system files.
- Close the Window Now.
At the same time, you can check the health of your system by following the below command.
- Open the Command Prompt as Admin Again.
- Now type the below code to check the health of the PC.
dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
- Close the Window and Restart the PC.
You will be free from infected or misconfigured files or program by following the above methods. Surely, it will reduce the High CPU usage from your PC for Malware service in Windows Defender.
Solution 7: Fix/Uninstall infected Files or Program
You can uninstall in third party software which is not reliable or can steal your data. On the other hand, you can check it by scanning the PC. You can uninstall the Windows Defender and can use another antivirus to check it also. It will find out the infected files or program and you can remove them from your PC. Certainly, it will solve the issues of infected file or program from your PC as well as you will get the solution of High CPU usage from Windows Defender.
Can I Disable It?
As Antimalware is a service of Windows Defender, I will recommend to keep it on your PC, if you use Windows Defender. Still, if you think it is taking High CPU usage, then you can follow the above methods to solve the issues and truly you will get the solution. If not I have shown the method of disabling it also. So, no tension to do it.
Is It a Virus?
No Actually. It is Antimalware service of Windows Defender in Microsoft computer and it helps to remove malware from your PC. So, it is not a virus. You are conscious about this as it is taking high CPU. If you follow the above solution you will rid of this program. Hope you are clear now.
Need More Help?
Finally, you have got the solution of Antimalware Service Executable of Windows Defender High CPU usage. If you follow any of the methods from the above you have no reason for facing the problem again. Henceforth, if you think you are still in the problem for Antimalware, you can make a comment with your details issues.
At last, if you get the article helpful. express your love by sharing it on your favorite social media. If you think you need further assistance, inform us from the comment section. All the best wishes.