Are you getting the 0xc0000142 Error Code in Windows 10, 8 or 7? It shows the message actually in this format “ The Application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the Application.” It shows the error when you are going to open any apps or program or games. Especially, it is not a virus or Malware, it indicates the corrupts system file in the application or on the system.
What does it mean by 0xc0000142 Error Code?
In general, 0xc0000142 is the system error with any essential missing files or corrupted files. It refers to INVALID_IMAGE_FORMAT. For this reason, it needs to fix to run specific apps or program. Even it can’t run some of the .exe files from RUN.
The error indicates with the Hexadecimal format named 0xc0000142. It gives the message of the location of the standard location of the error, but it is not all about identifying the error. Though you can solve it by following some simple method and the apps or program will work. I will show you all, just stay with me.
Check Out Also: 0xc000007b Error
The Reasons for 0xc0000142 Error?
The 0xc0000142 error occurs for different purposes, but we can make a list of some of them. For example.
- Corrupted files when installing the application
- If you shut down the PC incorrectly
- When you are trying to run 32-bit software on the 64-bit computer or the opposite ways.
- If Malware or virus deletes the file or you delete it mystically.
- If the PC misses the essential components including Microsoft Visual C++, Direct X and .NET Framework program or installation files
- A problem with Video Drivers including NVIDIA.
The actual reasons for error code 0xc0000142 are nearly same like the above, but it can be different in some places, but the solution is same. Let’s see how you can fix 0xc0000142 Error in Windows 10, 8 or 7.
How to Fix 0xc0000142 Error in Windows 10, 8 or 7 Permanently?
Sometimes, some simple techniques can fix 0xc0000142 Error code as well as it can solve the issues by technical approaches permanently. Let’s see the methods. Important: You do not need to follow all of them, when you will get the solution, never go for another.
Method 1: Reboot the Computer and Run a Full Scan
In some cases, Virus and Malware can cause the PC 0xc0000142 error. For this reason, when you will scan them with any Anti-virus including Windows Defender, it will fix the computer. At the same time, Just Rebooting the computer can solve the issues. With this in mind, you need to Scan the PC as well as Reboot it for getting the primary solution. Most of the cases, it does not show the error code anymore.
Method 2: Run the application as administrator
Sometimes, running the application as an administrator can fix the Error. When you are trying to open as a simple, it may not open. For this reason, if you change the permission, you can get the solution. The method is very simple, just Run the Application as Administrator. How will you do it?
- Right-Click on the Application or program, you want to run.
- Now click on Run As Administrators.
It will surely solve the Error Code 0xc0000142 in Windows 10, 8 or Windows 7.
Method 3: Reinstall the Application
In general, the application or program you want to run can be corrupted or the shortcut file can’t work. In addition, the file location on the system can be removed. For this reason, if you Reinstall the Application, you can get the solution. The Process of Reinstalling the Application is.
- First, Uninstall the existing Application, program or games.
- Now Install again cleanly.
You can solve the issues by doing it only and I have got the solution most of the time.
Method 4: Try to run application using the compatibility mode
Yes! It is very effective. Most of the games or program are updated and if you own them, you may not access them on your computer. For this reason, if you run the application using the compatibility mode, you can get the solution. It can give you the solution of 0xc0000142 Error. Let’s see how you can run any application in the compatibility mode.
- First, Right-Click on the Application and go to Properties.
- Then go to Compatibility Tab.
- Check or mark the box staying Run this program in compatibility mode for.
- Here you will get the previous OS list which you can get compatible, you can select one of them.
- Now click Apply and OK.
Now Open the Application and you can get the solution now. In some cases, you may need to take Full Control Access to use the application without 0xc0000142 Error. Let’s see how can you take Full Control?
- First, Open File Location of the Application. You can get it by Right Clicking on the application. Though you can also get the location here C:\Program Files (x86)\[Apps Folder].
- Now Right Click on the Application Folder and Go to Properties.
- Then again go to Security Tab and click Change Permission and Edit.
- See the Full Control here and Mark Allow.
- Now click Apply and Then OK.
Now Open the Application again and see the problem is solved and it is not showing any Error Code right now.
Method 5: Update NVIDIA video card drivers
When Video Card Drivers including NVIDIA are not updated, you can see the error code. For this reason, if you update it, the problem can be solved. So, updating it is a good practice to solve application running. You can update the video cards freely from their official website.
- Just Go to the Manufacturer Website.
- Download the latest version of the Video Card Drivers.
- Install it on your PC and Restart the Computer.
Check now the application and run it. Surely, it will solve the error code 0xc0000142.
Method 6: Check and Scan the System Files
In most of the cases, when any system file is missing or corrupted it works very fine. When you will check and scan the system files, it will identify which one is occurring the problem. Surely, it will solve the error code. How can you do it?
- First, run Command Prompt as Administrator. You can do it by searching cmd on the Windows Start Menu search bar or taskbar search.
- Now type the below code to scan and check the system files.
- Wait sometimes and it will check all the system files and will fix it.
Now open the Application again and surely, it will solve the issues of fixing the system files and you can run it simultaneously.
On the other hand, checking the system health is also effective. You can do it with the below commands.
dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth
At the same time, you can restore the system health as well.
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
By all means, you have checked and scanned the system files as well as you have checked the system files and you have restored the files again. It is very helpful to get back or fix error code. For example, 0xc0000142.
Method 7: Download and Run (0xc0000142) Repair Tool
Most of the time, 0xc0000142 error Repair Tool is very efficient to diagnose the problem and fixing it. The tool is available and you can surely fix it by following the below methods.
- First, download the 0xc0000142 error Repair Tool from here.
- Now install it on the PC with the double click. Run it now and see it will scan the PC for diagnosing the error.
- It will fix the error.
As it is third party tool, I will recommend to use it when all the above method is not working. Surely, it will solve the error.
Method 8: Reinstall Microsoft .NET framework
Sometimes, the application and Program need the .NET framework to run it correctly. Maybe you are using the backdated or corrupted .NET framework and the program needs the updated framework. For this reason, when you will uninstall and reinstall the .NET framework, it can run the latest application.
- Open Control Panel and Go to Uninstall A Program.
- You will get the program or application which is .NET specified.
- Now uninstall it one by one and download the latest version or .NET framework from here.
- Install it now
- Restart the PC and check the application showing 0xc0000142 error.
It will solve the error and you can run any types of application with .NET compatibility.
Method 9: Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages
Some essential application, program or games are built with the C++ programming language. It has used the C++ programming library. For this reason, if any application gets C++ library missing, it can show the error. In this case, you need to install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package. It will solve the issues regarding Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package. The work needs to follow the process.
- First, Open Control Panel and go Uninstall A Program.
- Now check the C++ Redistributable Packages. Click on it and uninstall one by one With C++ extension.
- Now Download the C++ Redistributable Package again from the Microsoft Website.
- Then again Reinstall it.
Here, Restart the PC and check if the issues have been solved. Surely, you will get the solution of the 0xc0000142 error code.
Method 10: Run check disk
In some cases, the 0xc0000142 error can occur for Hardware problem and Hard Drive can be corrupted as well. It can make the issues in the system files. For this reason, you can check the disk and can see if there have any issues. The process can resolve the error message and can run the desired files. Just follow the below process.
- Open Command Prompt As Administrators first.
- Now type “chkdsk c: /f /r“ for checking the disk issues. Here C is the Drive name. If you want to check another drive too, you can change the letter only. It will check and you will get the issues from here.
- Now restart the PC and check the problem is solved.
Yes! We are at the finishing point now. I think you have solved the issues of Error. It is very important to solve the issues.
Method 11: Update Windows
This is the final solution. Windows can lose some files for different reasons including Virus or Malware. At the same time, you can delete any system files mistakenly. With this in mind, if any of the above methods are not working for you, you update the Windows to get the loose files back.
At the same time, you can give a clean installation of the Windows to make the process easier. It will get the all the latest files including drivers, .net framework, DirectX or C++ Redistributable Package in the latest version. So, there will no issues with Error code 0xc0000142 in windows 10, 8 or 7.
Need More Help?
Finally, I am at the finishing point. Hope, you solved the issues of 0xc0000142 error code in Windows 10, 8 or 7. In future, you can easily solve the issues by following the methods.
If you get any issues regarding this error, you can also ask us from the comment section. At the same time, if you get the article helpful, express your love by sharing it on the social media. All the best wishes.