Unknown USB Device or Device Descriptor Request Failed is one of the common error when plug-in the USB device, cable or Controller in Windows 10, 8 or 7. In general, USB which refers to Universal Serial Bus is a common device for transferring data from one device to another. So, using USB for computing is a daily task for anyone. With this in mind, when it shows in error or do not work correctly, it cases the serious problem of you. Particularly, it shows the message “USB device not recognized device descriptor request failed.” As the system can’t read the USB device, so it is also known error Code 43.
In general, when you are entering the USB device in your computer, it shows a yellow signal which indicates the error. If you right click here, it may show the device is working properly, but the scenario is different. Most of the time it does not work. In the rare cases, it may also work. If you check the device is really working there has no problem. On the other hand, if you notice the device is not working actually for the yellow sign, you need to fix it.
Why Device Descriptor Request Failed Causes on the USB?
As you are facing the Unknown USB Device error when using the USB device, you need to fix the error. Before going to the solution, I will show you why does it actually occur?
- Firstly, it occurs when you are using an outdated USB device.
- Secondly, if your system’s motherboard does not work properly.
- Thirdly, if there have any problem with the hardware or software.
- Fourthly, when you are using any corrupt USB device.
- Lastly, when your USB controller is not configured correctly or corrupted USB Controller.
If you face the Unknown or Failed error, then probably you are getting the error from the above scenario. Hopefully, you can solve it also.
I will discuss the complete solution of the Device Descriptor Request, prior the full guide, you need to follow some quick tips, it can solve the issues at once.
- Plug-out and plug-in again. If the USB device shows, it is not recognized, it may cause for fast boot. For this reason, if you plug-out or plug-in the device again, it gets the solution.
- Hardware Problem. In some cases, the hardware of the specific Port may be corrupted. In this case, if you use the USB device in another Port of the computer, then it can work very fine.
- Use the USB device to another Computer to ensure the problem is your PC.
- Do you know if the BIOS is updated or not? You can check the manufacturers’ website to ensure it. In some cases, the versions of the BIOS can prevent to open the USB device.
If you have tried all the above quick solution for fixing Unknown USB device and not getting the right solution right now, you need to take it as serious now. You need to go deeper and I can assure it the USB Device Request Failed will be solved. Let’s start to solve the issues completely.
Fix Device Descriptor Request Failed (Unknown USB Device)
The below methods are verified for solving the issues in the case of USB problem. Let’s try it now.
Solution 1: Turn Off Fast Startup
Fast Startup is a program which helps to start up the computer and other devices fastly. So, when you turn off it, then the Device Descriptor Request Failed error can be solved. The reason is the device gets the time to install properly. For this reason, it gets the solution. Actually, it is the conditions of shut down and Hibernates. To emphasize, you will get the solution of Unknown USB device. How will you do it?
- Open RUN by pressing Windows Key + R. You can also get the RUN by searching on the taskbar search.
- Find out Power Options from the list. (Make sure you have selected Large Icons from Right Top Corner). Click on it.
- Now from the left sidebar, you will see “Choose what the power buttons do” click on it.
- Here click on Change Settings That Are Currently Unavailable.
- You will see the Turn On Fast Startup (Recommend) is checked. Your work is unchecked it. You will get it to the Shutdown Settings. You will see a message here “This helps start your PC faster after shutdown. Restart isn’t affected. Learn More”
- Now click on Save Changes from the below.
- Restart the PC now. For changing the settings, Restart is necessary.
At this moment, enter the USB device in your PC and check if it is working now. In most of the cases, it gets the solution here.
Solution 2: Disable USB Selective Suspend Settings
If you do not get the Unknown USB device solution still now, it can be the most efficient method for you. It will solve the issues of Device Descriptor Request Failed error. Let’s check how can you do it.
- Go to Power Options again from the Control Panel. (See the First Solution)
- Now go to Change Plan Settings.
- Go to Change Advanced Power Settings.
- A new window will open. Find Out USB Settings from here and Expand it.
- Now Expand the USB Selective Suspend Settings. You will find the Status as Enabled. You have to change it into Disabled. For doing this click on it and expand drop down and select the Disabled Options.
- If you see another option here named Plugged In, then do the same things here also.
- Click on Apply or OK now.
- At last Restart The PC.
Hope the problem is solved and you will get the solution for USB Drive Request Failed error. If not go to the next step.
Solution 3: Remove Power Supply and Plug-In again
I can add this options to the Quick Solution panel. But in some cases, it works very fine, but need to explore some tactics. For this reason, you need do the process carefully. Though the steps are straightforward but solve the issues. Let’s follow the below 3 steps to fix the error.
- First, plugged Out the USB Device from the PC and now turn off the power supply.
- Now Restart The PC and Enter the USB again.
- At last, Plugged In Power Supply jack.
The step is very easy, but sometimes hardware or port component can start work by following this steps. So, do it and get rid of the Device Descriptor Request Failed error.
Solution 4: Uninstall or Update all the Unknown USB Drivers
Sometimes you will see a lot of unknown USB drivers in your system which is unnecessary at all. If you uninstall it manually, the problem gets the solution for the USB device. On the other hand, you will not see the unknown error for USB drivers including Bluetooth or Pendrive. Let’s see how will you uninstall the unknown USB Drivers.
- First, open RUN by pressing Windows Key + R or by searching on the Taskbar search.
- Type “ ” and press Enter.
- Now click on Universal Serial Bus controllers options and expand it.
- Enter the USB Device which is showing the error. Now check the USB drivers list. The Drivers which is from the Error device. Right-Click on it.
- Now click on Uninstall Device or Update Driver which you want. In some cases, if you get the updated driver it gets the solution. On the other hand, if you uninstall the device, when you will reconnect it, you will get the solution. So, what is preferable for you, do it. I will recommend you to uninstall the device.
- Restart the PC now.
Now enter the USB device again on the PC. Surely, you will not see the error anymore.
Solution 5: Update Generic USB Hub
When you will update the Generic USB Hub, it checks if there have any error code or problem and it solves the issues. For this reason, updating the Generic USB Hub can solve the problem. Follow the below process to solve the issues.
- First, open Device Manager by pressing Windows Key + X or you can also Right Click on the Start Button to get it.
- Now expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers to get the Generic USB Hub.
- Right-click on it and click on update Driver Generic USB Hub.
- Click on Browse my computer for driver software to get the driver from your system.
- A new window will open. Select the Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer option.
- Then Generic USB hub window will come. Click on Next to update the driver.
- Wait sometimes for finishing the task. Now close all the window.
- Again, Enter the Device Manager and do the same process for another Generic USB Hub.
- Restart the PC now.
Yes! Enter the USB Device and check it is not showing the message of Device Descriptor Request Failed.
Solution 6: Fix Device Descriptor Request Failed With Troubleshooter
The last option is using the Troubleshooter for fixing the USB problem. It will diagnose the apps or program and you will get the solution permanently. Mainly, it fixes the hardware problem and gives the suggestion or solution. Let’s see how will it work.
- Open the Control Panel First by searching on the taskbar or typing Control on the RUN.
- Find out Troubleshooting from the list and click here.
- Go to Configure a device from Hardware and Sound.
- Now go to Next from Hardware and Sound (Find and Fix Problems with Devices and Hardware)
- Wait and for sometimes and check if it shows any major issues with the Hardware or Devices.
- If anything needs to update or uninstall, then do it.
- Restart the PC now.
Yes! You have done the Troubleshooting easily. You will get the solution from Unknown USB Device Error.
You will get some other options, for example, Enhanced Power Management Enabled via Registry Editor or Turning off USB Power Saving. Surely, you will get the solution.
Need More Help?
At last, I will tell you have got the solution from Unknown USB Device or Device Descriptor Request Failed. If you follow the above steps you will find out the best way to fix the error. At the same time, you will get the permanent solution for Error Code 43.
Anyway, if you get the article helpful, express your love by sharing it on your favorite social media. At the same time, if you need further assistance you can express the problem from the comment section. All the best wishes.