Sometimes the two terms DDoS and DoS confused us, as they look like similar. With this in mind, I will discuss here in details about DDoS vs DoS. It is true there have some similarities as well as dissimilarities also. If you know the functions and activity of the terms, you can tell why they are different.
Simply, DoS refers to Denial of service which is known as affected on the single computer. At the same time, DDoS refers to Distributed Denial of Service. These attacks affect a lot of computer in the same connection or protocol.
In this post, we will learn about the two terms of DDoS and DoS in details. Are you ready? Let’s start to learn.
The meaning of DoS is Denial Of Service. In a DoS attacks, it affects the online services/Website to disrupt the traffic. The primary goal of a successful DoS attack is disrupting the website for accessing the website. Generally, in DoS attacks, it affects the single computer or home network. What happens when you are under DoS attacks?
- Attacking in the resources and data including CPU and Bandwidth
- You will get the limitation on your access. It will log in and out you from your server, and you may not get access to your resources for certain period.
- You may see the process is crashing and you are unable to keep it running.
- Your important data may corrupt
- You may get some unusable format of data which is inaccessible
The most common type of DoS attacks performs resource exhaustion, and for this reason, you will not access it for certain period. At the same time, your customer can’t get their service or may not enter on your website at all. At the same time, your important data may get stolen or corrupted.
Example of DoS Attack: Suppose, a shopping mall is attacked by some illegal authority, and they will close all the door, and they will control all the behavior of the people in the shopping mall. Even the authority of the mall will stay under their control. They will take your resources, and they will go back it is finished. The same things happen in the DoS attacks.
The textual meaning of DDoS attacks is Distributed Denial-of-Service attack. The worst thing about the DDoS attack is it can affect more than one computer in a network. At the same time, it can be affected by hundreds or thousands of computer. That means when DoS attacks are taking control of a single computer, then the DDoS attacks are taking control of thousands of computer. What happens when you are under DDoS attacks?
- You get frequent attacks from different direction
- Your computer/server get significant amount of traffic at a time
- Your data is corrupted, and you will get vulnerable damage
- Here is the difference of DoS vs DDoS with the number of attackers
- You are going out of control for sometimes
DDoS attacks occur in two ways including HTTP or SYN flooding. When you are under HTTP flooding, it gets thousands of IP at a time. At the same time, when you are SYN Flooding it becomes the victim of TCP network.
Difference Between the DoS And DDoS:
So there has the far difference between the DoS and DDoS attacks. If I make a list of the dissimilarities between the two attacks, it will be…
- DoS attacks happen in a single machine. On the other hand, DDoS happens with many machines which are also known as the botnet.
- You can take necessary security easily and under some hours to protect DoS. On the other hand, DDoS takes control of many machines, so it is not easier to preserve and takes more time to get it back in the previous situation.
- DoS is considered as low threat level. On the other hand, DDoS is the medium or large threat level.
- DoS is rarely infected with Malware, but DDoS works with thousands of infected IP’s.
Similarities between the DoS and DDoS:
If you want the answer of similarities between the DoS and DDoS, I can tell both infects your computer and you are under control of the attackers. Though the amount of damage is not the same. So, if you read the difference from the above point, you will understand clearly the similarities between the DoS and DDoS.
When happens both attacks:
In general, DoS attacks happen to get information from the enemy, and it can be under two friends to hijacks the information. At the same time, Some business owners seek DoS or DDoS to lead the market and to revenge the opponent. Most of the time, Attackers want to get money from the businesses or bank. You can tell it as the online robbery.
Some criminals who keep looking the weak point of the Bank and work with someone in a teal which is also known as “hacktivists” to bring the money in their account to enjoy the life or as a profession.
How to recover from attacks?
Most of the time, the bank or business keeps special cybersecurity team or the member of special cyber secured service, so they take charge and even some services are liable to prevent it. So they never take any money to recover it. At the same time, the most affected business is who works with financial activities on their servers.
So who is in the risk? True to say, all the famous or semi-popular websites are the riskiest. They stay safe and lead the individual team to prevent it. If you look at the most recent DDoS or DoS attacks, you will see the attacks are looking for the server which can benefit them, and this is the ultimate target of them.
How to protect yourself from DoS or DDoS attacks?
When you are launching e-commerce or data saving server or website, you should take necessary measure to stay in the safe place from DoS or DDoS attacks.
- When you are in DoS attacks, you can block the IP of the attackers. You can take the support of the hosting provider to take steps.
- When you are in DDoS attacks, it is so tough to prevent the problem. You need to special support or needs to use the tools which prevent DDoS attacks.
- When taking any server for running your business website, ensure they will liable or regularly checking for DDoS or Malware.
- You have to keep updated your server and plugins and other issues on the server.
- Keep backup your server regularly to reduce the loss.
- To prevent Dos attacks keep your PC clean and use an anti-virus. Even you get attacks from anyone, inform the anti-virus company to solve the issues or to give your updating security.
That means, you have to take guard and you need to maintain a log to prevent the loss. For example, keeping the backup of your full server. Data and files. That’s all about DDoS vs DoS.
Editors Note From TechyPi:
Finally, I will tell stay in the safe position and use an excellent server, antivirus and keep your network virus free. Undoubtedly, you will remain in the safe position. I think you have understood the difference between the DoS and DDoS attacks and taking necessary measures as well.
If you get the article helpful, share it on your favorite social media and if needs any help ask us from the comment section. All the best wishes.