Sometimes to make the PC yours, you want to decorate it and decorating PC hardly depends on changing the folder icons. At the PC is the combination of Folder, files (data) and Apps. For this reason, if you can change the Folder icons with custom icons and your need, you can make your Computer amazing. With this in mind, in this tutorial, you will learn how to change Folder Icons in Windows 10, 8 or Windows 7.
In general, your computer uses some default icons for every folder, shortcut folder, files, drive, and apps. But you can customize them with your desired icons. Even you can create your own images as icons and can use it as folder icons in Windows.
Simply, Windows provide more icons in the system, though they are similar to existing icons. For this reason, you can download icons from the internet including Icon Finder (Free Icon). Important to realize, when you are using any icons from the other sources, you have to ensure you have kept the icons on your PC. Otherwise, if you delete or move after using it, it may show error loading or can display empty icons.
So, are you ready to make the folder icons on your Windows PC custom? Let’s see the procedures of changing the Folder Icons in Windows 10, 8/8.1 or Windows 7.
How to change Folder Icons in Windows 10, 8 or 7?
Here, I will show you the process of changing the folder icons including…
- Change your default Folder Icons in Windows (This PC or My Computer, Recycle Bin, Network and So On)
- Change the Folder Icons
- Change the icon of any shortcut
- Change the Pin Icons into the taskbar
- Change the Icons of any folder
- Change the icon of specific types of file
Change your default Folder Icons in Windows:
Some programs or folders are considered as the default folder in Windows including This PC or My Computer, Recycle Bin, Network and So On. Though in Windows 10, you will get the Recycle Bin by default, you can restore the Missing Desktop icons in Windows. When you do not get or somehow remove some necessary and default desktop icons, you can restore them following this tricks.
So, how you can change the default folder icons in Windows. For changing the icons, you need to follow the below guidelines.
01) Firstly, right click on the empty place of desktop and you will find the Personalize. Click here.
02) Now go the Themes and Desktop Icon Setting from the right sidebar.
03) Here you will find the default desktop icons place with a new window.
04) Now you need to select which apps icon you want to change. For example, This PC, Network, Recycle Bin. Now Click Change Icon.
05) It will open a new window and select your desired icons from here and click OK.
Note: If you have any other custom icons file (.ico), you can also installed it here. For doing this, you need to click on browse and then select it and hit OK. It will show the custom icons now.
Yes! You have successfully changed the default desktop icons in Windows 10, 8/8.1 or 7.
Changing Folder Icons In Windows:
Now you will see how to change the Folder Icons In Windows 10, 8/8.1 or Windows 7. Let’s see the procedures step by step.
- First Choose which folder you want to change the icons. Now right click on it and go to properties.
- Now go to customize tab and click on change icon.
- Now a new window with available Folder icon will appear. You can choose any of them from here to change the icon.
- After finishing now change Apply and come back to the folder area and now refresh the PC with right click.
- See the folder Icon has been changed.
Yes! It is so easy to process custom icons. You can change any folder icons in Windows by following the process.
Note: You can also choose here your custom made icons if you have downloaded .ico images in your PC.
Change The Icons of any Shortcut:
You can also change Icons of any shortcut file or folder. You can change the icons of any types of the shortcut file or folder.
01) Select the Shortcut folder you want to change the Icons. Now right click on it and Go to properties.
02) Now click on the Shortcut Tab and then Change Icon.
03) As the above process, now it will open the Icon collection folder. You need to choose your desired icons from here. You can also add new icons from the browse options.
04) Yes! Now press Apply, and you have changed the icons of any shortcut folder.
You can change the icons of any shortcut folder in Windows very easily from now.
Change The Icons of any Pinned Apps in the Taskbar:
You can change the icons of any pinned Apps in the Taskbar. It is very easy, and you can do it to make the icons attractive.
Note: You can’t change the icons of any opened apps from the taskbar.
01) Firstly, Press Shift Key+Right Click on the Apps from the taskbar you want to change. Now click on Properties.
02) Then click on shortcut and change icon.
03) Now select the desired icons you want to show here. You can also show the icons from your personal collection by going browse.
04) Now click apply and see that the icons on the taskbar have been changed.
Yes! You can now change the icons of any pinned apps in the taskbar.
Change The Drive Icons on File Explorer:
On the negative side that there were no built-in options to change the drive icons on the File Explorer. But you can do it by using some third party apps or by editing registry command. I have discussed all the ways of changing the drive icons here. You can see it.
At the same time, you can get the method of using it efficiently after changing the drive icons on your Computer.
Change the icon of specific types of file:
It is very amazing if you can change the specific file types with the different icons. For example, you need to use the images of JPEG, PNG or GIF, but when you want to use them, you can’t understand, which on is JPEG or PNG, GIF. For this reason, it takes more time to you. With this in mind, if you can change the icon of specific extension, then it will help you to diagnose it.
Unfortounently, there has no built-in feature to change the icon of specific types of file. For this reason, you need to use third-party software. For example, FileTypesMan. It is free software and you can download it by scrolling the page in the middle position.
But the apps (FileTypesMan) can’t edit the .exe file. If you want to want to change the .exe file icons in Windows, you can use this free software for changing the icons. It is smooth and free as well.
Yes! Now you can change the specific types of file including .exe file.
Editor’s Note From TechyPi:
Finally, I will tell I have discussed all the ways of changing the folder icons in Windows 10, 8/8.1 and Windows 7. You can now make your computer more attractive by following the needs of you.
If you get the article helpful, express your love by sharing it. At the same time, if you get any problem or needs any further assistance, you can inform us from the below comment section. All the best wishes.