Whenever you are changing the folder icons in Windows Computer, you may also want to change Drive Icon. Actually, I’m a great fan of making my computer attractive with my favorite custom icons and I try to do it in my every folder or Drive. With this in mind, if you also want to make custom folder icon, you can easily do it by following some methods. I will describe it here.
In general, changing the folder icon is very easy with the built-in options but doing it on the drive is not so easy. As there have no built-in functions to change the drive icon, so you need to follow some specific tricks. Significantly, I will show you the aspects on How to Change Drive Icon in Windows 10, 8 or 7. Let’s see the ways in details.
How to Change Drive Icon in Windows:
We will change the drive icon in Windows 10, 8 or 7 by following 4 ways including
- Change Drive Icon from autorun.inf (Manual Way)
- Change Drive Icon with Drive Icon Changer
- Change Drive Icon with Seven Drive Icon Changer
- Changing Drive Icon from Registry Editor
Method 1: Change Drive Icon from autorun.inf
Using third-party tool is not good for anything. So, I always try to do all the things manually. You can easily change drive icon from autorun.inf which is a manual and effective process and it works in every version of Windows including Windows 10, 8, 7.
Step 1: First select which drive icon you want to change. In my case, I will change a drive named Download. I keep all the Downloaded file here. So, I will give a download related icon here. Let’s see how am I doing it.
Step 2: Now mark show extensions. For doing this go to view from My PC and Check the File name Extensions.
Step 3: Now open the drive and stay here in the root. In the drive right click on the empty place and take a text editor. Give the name autorun.inf.
Step 4: When you will want to save the file with .inf extension, it will give you a warning if you want to do it. Click Yes!
Step 5: Now bring your desired icon on this drive where you have kept the autorun.inf. My File Name download.ico. As I will change the Download Drive. So, I have made an icon which is related to download.
Step 6: Now paste the below code into the autorun.inf.
As I have given the icon file download.ico, So I have written the file name. You will write the file name of you.
Step 7: Never forget to give the file name with .ico extension and keep the file extension as All Files When saving in Notepad instead of TXT Format.
Now restart the PC and see the icon again. Yes! It has changed the Drive Icon. I think you can do it easily.
Method 2: Change the Drive Icon with Drive Icon Changer
Drive Icon Changer is a tiny software with 425KB. You can change the Drive Icon by installing it. It will take some simple steps to change the drive icon. To do that follow the below steps.
- First Download the software from here and double-click on it.
- Go next and accept the terms.
- Now select the drive icon you want to change and select the icon file (.ico)
- Click Save.
Now restart the PC and check the icon has been changed successfully. (The Software needs .Net Framework version up to 3.5+)
Note: In general, the software creates the autorun.inf and icon file in the drive. So, if you can do the work from the first method, it will be better rather than depending on a software.
Method 3: Change The Drive Icon With Seven Drive Icon Changer
Seven Drive Icon Changer is a reliable software for changing the drive icon. You can easily change the drive icon with this software.
- First Download the Software from here and double-click on it.
- You will get the layout like that. You need to click on browse to select your desired icon file (.ico)
- Now click on change icon.
It is the easiest ways to change the drive icon.
Method 4: Changing Drive Icon from Registry Editor
You can also change the Drive Icon from Registry Editor. Let’s see how you can do it.
- Open RUN first by pressing Win+R and write regedit and click OK to access the Registry Editor.
- Now select DriveIcons. You will get it from this path. (Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons)
- Now right Click on the folder and go to New and Key.
- It will create a new folder and give the name D. (You will give the drive name you want to change.)
- Now double click on the Default and it will open a window. Here give the full file path. (See the screenshot) Note: If do not get the default icon create it with right click on the D folder and following New>String Value and then double click on it.
- Yes! Now click Ok and close it and reopen it to apply.
If you restart the PC and if you check the Drive, you will see the Drive icon has been changed.
Editor’s Note From TechyPi:
Finally, I will tell drivers icon helps to make them attractive and it helps to understand the icon by appearance only. For this reason, you can easily change the drive icon. I will recommend, follow any method which has no need to use any software. Though software does the same task with some clicks only.
Anyway, if you get the article helpful, express your love by sharing it. At the same time, make comment if needs any furthers queries. All the best wishes.